Cyclist Falls With iPhone In His Pocket, iPhone Explodes and Gives Him Third Degree Burns
Gareth Clear was biking in Sydney this past weekend with his new iPhone 6 riding shotgun in his back pocket. After taking a "minor fall," the 36-year-old cyclist says his iPhone exploded in his back pocket, melting away his biking shorts and causing third degree burns. Clear eventually needed surgery and a skin-graft.
[Note: This next image is a little gnarly, so close your eyes and keep scrolling if burned flesh weirds you out.]
That looks very painful.
Here's how Clear describes the incident to The Sydney Morning Herald :
"I just saw smoke coming out of my back pocket...and then all of a sudden I felt this surging pain," he said, adding that he felt a "searing heat" as the phone burnt through his riding shorts in a matter of seconds.
"I just remember looking at my leg and I had this black discharge all down my leg and this smell of phosphorus," he said.
While you'd think phones would get better at not being explosive death hazards, the combination of slimmer devices coupled with consumers' demand for longer lasting batteries can still lead to unsafe gadgets. After all,
There have been several instances of iPhones exploding in the past, including one nightmare scenario where one
burst into flames on a plane